People who live in multi-unit housing have a right to be concerned when unwanted smoke drifts
into their apartments from smoking neighbors. Neighbors share 65% of their air, and unwanted secondhand smoke can travel within a building through shared ventilation, heating systems, cracks in walls, openings around plumbing, under doors, and through poor insulation. Smoke-free policies can help landlords and tenants by eliminating exposure to secondhand smoke, decreasing the risk of fires, and reducing the cost to turn over units.
Tobacco-Free CNY (TFCNY) can help by providing:
- Education on the benefits of smoke-free apartments for landlords and tenants.
- Technical assistance with policy creation and implementation to apartment complexes, senior living homes, and other multi-unit rental residences in adopting a smoke-free policy that prohibits the use of smoked tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes, in their buildings and on their property.
- FREE smoke-free apartment signage
- Guidance on establishing tenant/resident wellness and support teams
- Links to cessation resources
Smoke-free polices are no different the policies prohibiting loud music, pets or the use of grills. If you would like a smoke-free policy where you live or for the multi-unit property that you own, please contact TFCNY today.
Looking for a smoke-free apartment or wish to add your smoke-free apartment to the directory? Visit www.SmokeFreeHousingNY.org
For HUD resources, visit: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/healthy_homes/smokefree