In 2003, New York State passed the New York State Clean Indoor Air Act, making it illegal to smoke and vape (since 2017) inside almost all public and private indoor workplaces to protect workers and the public from secondhand smoke exposure. Many business have taken the steps to further protect the health and safety of their employees and visitors by creating their own tobacco-free outdoor (TFO) air policies for their workplace. You can protect the health of your employees and visitors by reducing secondhand smoke on your property.
Tobacco-free workplace policies have been shown to:
- Increase employee productivity
- Decrease healthcare expenses
- Encourage employees to quit
- Decrease the risk of fires
- Eliminate exposure to secondhand smoke
Tobacco-Free CNY (TFCNY) can help with the transition to a 100% tobacco-free workplace by assisting with:
- Policy creation
- Providing FREE tobacco-free signs
- Educating employees on the benefits of tobacco-free workplaces
- Assisting with the creation of workplace wellness teams
- Providing links to cessation resources and education on including cessation in insurance benefits.
You have the right to breathe clean air at work. Talk with your supervisors or managers about the harmful exposure of secondhand smoke. Please contact TFCNY if you would like to see a tobacco-free outdoor air policy at your workplace.
NYS Clean indoor air act source: https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/3402/